What is System Migration?
System migration is the process of transferring business process IT resources (Networks, Hardware, Software, Data & People) to a newer hardware infrastructure or a different software platform for the purpose of keeping up with current technologies and/or to gain better business value. In all cases, the move is done toward a system perceived to be better than the current system and would, in the long run, give better value.
Types of System Migrations
Physical to virtual (P2V) is a term that refers to the migration of an operating system(OS), application programs and data from a computer’s main hard disk to a virtual machine or a disk partition. P2V is commonly used to accomplish server virtualization. P2V is also popular as a way for Macintosh users to run Windows applications.
Physical to physical (P2P) is a method to migrate a system from one physical computer to another same physical computer or even to a different physical computer. P2P will help you in the following:
- Migrate to different hardware with minimal effort
- Upgrade hardware while keeping all programs and settings intact
- Replace failed hardware, where one cannot find an exact match for original system specification
Data Migration is the process of transferring data between computer systems, data storage systems or data formats. Reasons for undertaking data migration, include:
- Replacing or upgrading servers or storage equipment
- Moving data to third-party cloud providers
- Website consolidation
- Infrastructure maintenance
- Application or database migration, software upgrades
- Company mergers
- Data center relocation
Application Migration is the process of moving an application program from one environment to another. Examples include migration from an on-premises enterprise server to a cloud provider’s environment or from one cloud environment to another.
What are the benefits of System Migration to businesses?
Regardless of the process by which system migration takes place, the main drivers include:
- The current system no longer performs as expected.
- A new technology which drives processes faster becomes available.
- The old system becomes deprecated and support is no longer available for it.
- The company is taking a change in direction.
At CompIT, we’re here to keep you up and running so you can focus on your clients and your business.
For a Free IT Assessment or to get more information about our plans and services. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 732-363-7353.